Ilbirs was founded in 2016 to promote conservation of Kyrgyzstan’s flora and fauna through community involvement and research. We carry out activities concerning rare and endangered species in educational, cultural, and charitable spheres, as well as conduct field research on climate change and wildlife species such as snow leopards and marmots.
Ilbirs Foundation is a non-profit environmental organization registered with the Ministry of Justice of the Kyrgyz Republic (Registration number 159366-3300-OF, June 10 2016).
Our mission is the conservation of viable populations of snow leopards, other predators and other wildlife species as an integral part of Kyrgyzstan’s nature by promoting and encouraging local communities living in high mountainous regions of the country to preserve natural resources and further sustainable livelihoods.
- environmental conservation through implementation of global and national policy decisions at the local level to benefit society as a whole;
- sustainable use of natural resources, sustainable methods of conservation and management of wild animal populations, development of environmentally friendly production;
- assistance to state authorities of the Kyrgyz Republic in improving management of protected natural areas and decision making in nature protection policy.
- capacity development, enhancing awareness, and education of various sectors of society on biodiversity conservation, growing understanding of critical plant species;
- encouragement to environmentally involved communities to improve the state of environmental conditions in the Kyrgyz Republic;
- environmental education of younger generations to form a culture of raised awareness and environmental consciousness.
- development of scientific programs and research on snow leopards (food types, habitat and relationship to other wildlife species in Kyrgyzstan);
- improvement of methodological and practical bases for environmental protection, including preparation of recommendations to improve a legislative conservation framework;
- reinforcement of international ties in research, information and practice in the field of conservation.
- initiates discussion of relevant environmental issues by organizing report presentations, reviews, lectures and other events;
- cooperates with state authorities of the Kyrgyz Republic to improve legislation and other regulations regarding conservation;
- assists in conducting research and practical implementation in the field of ecology;
- supports joint activities and partnerships on environmental problems with individuals & organizations within the Kyrgyz Republic and internationally;
- participates directly in an international environmental movement, arranges exchange visits, and moreover, supports exchange of experience, information, etc.;
- provides analytical, consulting, and information services related to Ilbirs objectives;
- organizes educational events for media & carries out publishing and advertising for conservation activities;
- assists in organization and operation of reserves, nurseries, wildlife sanctuaries and other forms of natural protection and restoration;
- facilitates ecological forms of recreation, including ecological tourism, ecological villages, etc.;
- establishes and maintains international relations and direct contacts with similar foundations of other countries, and participates through representatives in conferences, meetings, symposia and other events;
- raises voluntary contributions and donations in cash, securities and other assets to support the Foundations statutory activities, etc..
Ilbirs Foundation’s partners include state organizations, leadership of specially protected natural areas and national parks, international conservation organizations, educational institutions, national and international experts in the field of environmental protection, and local community organizations which aim at preserving wildlife. These partners are listed below:
♥ State Agency for Environmental Protection and Forestry of the Kyrgyz Republic
♥ Department of Biodiversity Conservation and Protected Areas
♥ Department for the Development of Forest Ecosystems
♥ Institution of Kyrgyz Forestry Construction
♥ Sarychat-Ertash State Natural Reserve
♥ Institute of Biology of the National Academy of Sciences of the Kyrgyz Republic
♥ State Customs Service under the Government of the Kyrgyz Republic
♥ Center for Professional and Canine Training
♥ Global Snow Leopard and Ecosystem Program (GSLEP)
♥ Snow Leopard Trust
♥ Snow Leopard Foundation
♥ Union for the Conservation of the Nature of Germany (NABU) in the Kyrgyz Republic
♥ Arstanbek Duisheev Kyrgyz Scientific Research Institute of Veterinary Medicine (KNIIV)
♥ Ala-Archa National Park (in the Kyrgyz Republic)
♥ K. Karasaev Bishkek Humanitarian University Department of Ecology and Management
♥ Shumkar-Tor community-based conservancy (CBC)
♥ Chunkur-Tor CBC
♥ Zhamaat Zhanaidar CBC
♥ Zhamaat Sook CBC
♥ Zhamaat Bek-Tosot CBC
♥ Chegetey-Too CBC
♥ Kara-Kuzhur CBC
♥ Ak-Bulun CBC
♥ Baiboosun CBC